If you like fava beans (and not everyone in this family does… *i.e. Sarah*), then you will probably very much enjoy this Stir Fried Fava Beans dish. Fresh fava beans will cook faster than ones that have been frozen, so take that into consideration!
Stir in the remaining scallion, plate and serve these Stir Fried Fava Beans as an appetizer or side dish.
Here’s the printable recipe:
Stir Fried Fava Beans with Szechuan Peppercorns
- 1 pound fresh fava beans (or frozen ones, defrosted; 450g)
- 1 tablespoon Sichuan peppercorns (aka Szechuan peppercorns)
- 3 tablespoons scallions (finely chopped)
- 5 dried chilis
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
- Heat oil in wok over medium-high heat. Add garlic, Sichuan peppercorn, dried chili, and half of the chopped scallion. Cook for a minute, stirring vigorously to make sure nothing burns.
- Add fava beans and stir fry for about 2 minutes. Add salt, white pepper, sesame oil, shaoxing wine and 2 tablespoons water and stir fry until the beans are cooked through and soft.
- Stir in the remaining scallion, plate and serve.