Instant Pot Soy Sauce Chicken Bowls
Instant Pot Soy Sauce Chicken is a quick short-cut version of a classic recipe. It comes together in about 30 minutes, and can be shredded and served over rice with your favorite veggie side!
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 7 slices ginger
- 2 scallions (cut into 3-inch pieces)
- 3 star anise
- 1 1/2 cups Chinese Rose Wine (mei gui lu, or Shaoxing wine; ¾ cup if replenishing existing sauce)
- 1 1/2 cups light soy sauce (¾ cup if replenishing)
- 1 1/4 cups dark soy sauce (⅔ cup if replenishing)
- 1 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons (1/2 cup if replenishing
- 2 teaspoons salt (1 teaspoon if replenishing)
- 8 cups water (5 cups if replenishing)
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
Grab your instant pot. Turn on the sauté setting, and add the oil and ginger. Let it caramelize for about 30 seconds. Then add the scallions and cook another 30 seconds. Add the star anise, rice wine, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, sugar, salt, and water.
Close the lid of the instant pot, and make sure you have your vent set so it is not venting. Cook for 5 minutes on the high pressure cooking setting.
Safely release pressure, open the lid, and carefully lower the chicken thighs into the instant pot.
Cook the chicken for 15 minutes on the high pressure setting. Carefully release the vent when the timer is up. As soon as all the steam has escaped, you can open the instant pot.
Use two forks to shred the chicken into big chunks and serve over rice with sauce spooned over the top. Let the braising liquid cool, and store it in containers in the freezer. When you need it again, let it thaw in the refrigerator and throw it back in the instant pot with more chicken.
Calories: 228kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 143mg | Potassium: 426mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 75IU | Vitamin C: 0.7mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 1.8mg