CHINESE BRAISED BEEF WITH TURNIPS

DSC_0262

This Chinese braised beef with turnips is a traditional dish, where all you need is one pot, a few ingredients, and a bit of time. It’s so easy to make…just get everything in the pot, turn the heat down, and go do some laundry, watch a few episodes of Game of Thrones, or re-grout your bathroom (that’s what WE did).

Chinese turnips are long, white vegetables (see the ingredients glossary for more info) that you can find in any Asian grocery. If you’ve never had it, it’s definitely worth a try.

Here’s what you need:

• 2 lbs beef brisket, rinsed, pat dry and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 5 slices ginger
  • 1 cup shaoxing wine
  • 2 1/2 tablespoon light soy sauce
  • 3 star anise
  • 6-8 cloves
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 5 cups water
  • 1 large turnip, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces

Rinse, dry, and cut the beef.

DSC_0189

Get your star anise, cloves, and ginger ready.

DSC_0187

Heat cooking oil and ginger in a wok or heavy-bottomed pot over high heat.

DSC_0190

Add the beef and lightly brown all sides.

DSC_0195

Then add your cooking wine, light soy sauce, star anise, cloves, sugar and 3 cups of the water. Using very low heat, let the pot simmer for about 75 – 90 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid sticking or burning.

DSC_0206

By now, the sauce should be almost dry. It’s a good time to skim out any excess fat.

DSC_0235

Then add the turnip chunks.

DSC_0236

Add the last 2 cups of water to the pot as well, and let it simmer for another 30 – 40 minutes (until the turnip is soft and tender).

DSC_0246

2 1/2 tablespoons light soy sauce
3 star anise
8 cloves
1 teaspoon of sugar
5 cups of water
1 large turnip, cut into 1 ½ inch pieces

Prep your beef. Heat cooking oil and ginger in a wok or Dutch oven over high heat. Add the beef and lightly brown all sides. Then add the shaoxing wine, light soy sauce, anise, cloves, sugar and 3 cups of the water (reserve last 2 cups for later). Simmer over very low heat for about 75 – 90 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid sticking or burning.

After that, the sauce should be almost dry. This is a good time to skim out any excess fat. Then add the turnips and the last 2 cups of water. Allow the stew to simmer for another 30 – 40 minutes, until the turnip is soft and tender. Serve hot over rice.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:

Comments

1. says

Hi Sarah, I have just been flicking through your blog, you do love Asian cuisine! This one caught my eye, turnips (yum!), star anise…sounds too good. I have some beef ribs actually so am thinking of doing this for tonight however I dont have any shaoxing wine, would general white wine still achieve the same result do you think or some Japanese sake?

• Sarah says

Hi, Melissa,

We’re so glad that you’re enjoying our blog. Most Chinese cooking wines are made from rice, so in this case, I think the sake would be better for this dish. I would just cut the wine from 1 cup to 1/2 cup since it has a higher alcohol content. Please write back and let us know how it turned out. Happy eating :-)

2. says

Hi Sarah,

Just discovered your blog and am loving it! I have just returned back from China on monday and loved this dish over there (or what i assume to be this dish it looks very similar) and am planning to make this for dinner tomorrow night! I usually hate turnips but this is now the only way ill eat it! (only tried it because i thought it was potato!)

Thanks heaps!

3. Nancy says

I made this last weekend in the crockpot – I just lessened the amount of water by a cup, and threw all the ingredients in. After 4 hours on High, the meat was still not tender enough, but after 6 hours it was just right! We ate this with rice and my family raved about it. I’ll definitely make this in the crockpot again, but I would probably lessen it by 2 cloves, and make this into 牛腩面. Thanks for the lovely recipe!

• says

Superb!!! I love the adjustments you made. Also 牛腩面 sounds like a really good idea, you may want to add more water so you end up with some sauce for the noodle soup, then add some stock, chopped scallions and start slurping, YUM! let me know when, we will be over for dinner.

4. Nancy says

Thanks Judy for the reminder … let me know next time you’re in Singapore I’ll have this dish waiting for you in my trusty crockpot :)

5. Rich says

Oh, Em, Gee. The aroma….

I hope I can wait the two hours until this is finished cooking!

You remember the scene in Julie and Julia when the editor is trying out the recipes, smells the pot (I think it’s Coq au Vin) and looks exactly like Julie doing the same thing 50 years later? That’s what I looked like a minute after I poured in the braising liquid….